- Oil production for McKenzie County dropped from 14.9 million barrels in December 2020 to 14.1 million barrels in January 2021.
- Year to date visits to the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park have increased from 1,684 to 3,768.
- Brookledge apartments increased their occupancy from 60% in February 2021 to 62% in March 2021.
Sanford Health has announced a plan with the City of Williston that will allow for a new clinic and hospital to be built for the region. The plan is for it to be located in the Williston Square which is 800 acres that was recently vacated with the moving of the Williston airport to a location outside city limits.
Board members for McKenzie County School District #1 received updated enrollment projections for the next 10 years at their recent meeting. Projections are for continued growth, but at a rate slower than the past 10 years of extremely rapid growth.
February is Career and Technical Education month and Watford City High School recently released a video highlighting current career and technical education opportunities. Currently there is coursework offered in Agriculture, Healthcare, Family and Consumer Science, Information Technology, and Business. Work is underway in how to continue to improve the offerings and experience to help students be more informed with their career choices.
- McKenzie County’s December 2020 unemployment rate decreased to 8.0% from 8.5% in November 2020.
- Brookledge apartment occupancy rate for February 2021 remained the same at 60% when compared to the January 2021 rate.
- McKenzie County’s monthly oil production for December 2020 came in at approximately 14.8 million barrels, in November 2020 it was approximately 15.1 million barrels.
Employers who are looking to hire interns should consider applying for the Operation Intern program administered by the ND Department of Commerce. Operation Intern is a grant program designed to expand the number of internships, work experience and apprenticeship positions with North Dakota employers. The program focuses on creating new internships and apprenticeships within the state’s targeted industries of energy, advanced manufacturing, value-added agriculture, tourism and technology-based businesses, to include cybersecurity.
The global oil producer Hess has announced a $1.9 billion capital and exploratory budget for 2021. $450 million of that has been allocated towards a two rig program for the Bakken where their 2021 plans include drilling 55 wells and bringing online 45 wells. They note that the Bakken wells provide attractive financial returns at today’s oil prices.
A $400 million ethane-fueled power plant has been announced by Bakken Midstream. The plant, which would reportedly be the largest ethane-based power plant in the world, will provide a local use of the natural gas that is co-produced with the area’s oil wells, and is expected to bring over 100 construction jobs to the area. It is planned to be located outside of Williston. For more see this Fargo Forum article, Bismarck Tribune article or this Williston Herald article.